The IODE Jean Throop Book Award
In January 1975, Mrs. Jean Throop urged the IODE Toronto Municipal Education Committee to take action to encourage the publishing of more and better children's Canadian books. Mrs. Throop informed the meeting that a bequest of $4,000 from the Estate of the late Walter Wilberforce Weeks was forthcoming. The bequest, of which the Municipal Chapter of Toronto IODE would be receiving $460 per year, was to be assigned to an education project. In a recommendation at the General Meeting, Education Officer, Jean Throop, recommended that an award be established in co-operation with the Toronto Public Library Board to be awarded annually to an author and or illustrator of a children’s book that has been written or illustrated by a Canadian citizen residing in Toronto or the surrounding area. The recommendation was enthusiastically seconded by Mrs. McMurtry of IODE St. George Chapter, Toronto. Mrs. Throop expressed the hope that all chapters would wish to support this award by contributing at least ten dollars a year to assist the IODE Toronto Municipal Education Committee to carry out the award. The first award of $500 was presented at the 05 March 1975 annual meeting of the Municipal Chapter of Toronto IODE. Over the years, support for the Book Award grew and individual donations were received. The Municipal Chapter of Toronto IODE has raised the amount of the Award to reflect the amount available and increased the prestige of the Award.
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Book Award, in 2005 IODE Toronto renamed the Award to the Municipal Chapter of Toronto IODE Jean Throop Book Award. Since 2013, as a result of the disbandment of IODE Toronto, the Award is now called the IODE Jean Throop Book Award. Funding for the Book Award now comes from the IODE Toronto Legacy Fund, which is administered by IODE Ontario. The Selection Committee for the Award is comprised of members from the Toronto IODE Primary Chapters and members from the IODE Ontario Executive.
To donate to this fund or for further information email email@example.com
Entries to the
IODE Jean Throop Book Award
deadline for submission is 31 December.
The IODE selection committee meet in February and the winner is announced in April at IODE Ontario's Annual Meeting.
IODE Jean Throop Book Award valued at $5,000
Terms of Reference and Criteria:
Terms of Reference and Criteria:
- Only English language books written within the last calendar year by a Canadian author and/or illustrator residing in the province of Ontario will be considered. Self-published books are also accepted
- The book should appeal to children between the ages of 3 and 7.
- The Selection Committee will be made up of members of the Toronto Legacy Committee, approved annually, as well as the IODE Ontario President.
- The Selection Committee will take into consideration the quality of the book, the nature of the contribution to children’s literature, the quality of the illustrations and, if possible, will be of Canadian content. Submissions for the award will be requested from publishers in the fall with a request for 2 copies of the books for review by the selection committee members.
- The award will be presented at the Annual Meeting of IODE Ontario. The Award Recipient(s) will be invited to attend the Annual Meeting. No funds for transportation or accommodation expenses can be provided.
- If the author and illustrator is the same person, he/she will receive the full amount.
- The Award recipient(s) will receive a cheque and a suitably inscribed certificate.
- The award may be cancelled at any time on the recommendation of the Toronto Legacy Committee.